Let’s face it. We are not ALL morning people. Some might argue that there is no such thing. Is it REALLY possible to just pop out of bed in the morning with a huge grin and instant pep in your step? Do people actually enjoy waking up early? I mean, who doesn’t LOVE sleep?
Okay, so maybe you aren’t afraid to admit that you are NOT a morning person. You loathe your alarm clock, despise that first inkling of light that peaks in through your curtains, and even cringe when you hear, “good morning” or any form of communication before you lift both lids. But what if I told you that your disdain of mornings just might be setting you up to have a miserable day?
Here’s the thing. Like it or not, we’ve all gotta get up. Every day. And if we wake up miserable, we are likely to carry that with us all day. So, we have to figure out a way to ENJOY mornings. My solution to this is to use the very first 5 minutes out of bed to get things rolling. Here is my system.
- The very first thing I do is freshen up. I brush my teeth and wash my face. Seriously, BEFORE I do anything else. My first stop is ALWAYS my sink. This tells my mind and my body that I AM UP.
- I open up all the windows in my house. Blinds, curtains, windows. I let the light and cool breeze flow into my home.
- Next, I light a candle. (Or 7.) Something subtle. A burning candle always puts me at ease.
- I turn on some tunes. I choose a record that isn’t too crazy but won’t put me back to sleep! Lately, it has been The Eagles.
- Lastly, I take a DEEP breath and enjoy the atmosphere I just created. By now, all of my senses are awake. Oh, not all! COFFEE!
Okay, so like I said, I do these things in the first 5 minutes after I get out of bed. I have instantly created an atmosphere in my home that is relaxing and refreshing. My spirits are high and I’m ready to get stuff done. Now, here’s the thing. We all live different lives. Maybe you have to go to work really early. Maybe you have kids to attend to first thing. Maybe you need to wake up early to get a workout in. Maybe you don’t have any obligations in the morning! Regardless of your situation, THIS is my biggest tip.
Wake up early enough to RELAX.
Of course you’ll hate waking up in the morning if you are immediately stressed. Force yourself to get up 10 minutes earlier than usual so you can enjoy the morning. I promise, it will be worth it!
One more thing. None of these tips will work if you wake up to a messy house. I’ll share some tips on home organization and a simple cleaning schedule in a later post. But for now, spend 15 minutes before bed picking up your house. Put shoes, laundry, books, toys, make up, away. Load the dishwasher. Take out the trash. Waking up to a dirty house is no fun.
So it seems that we have a theme going on here. Spend a FEW minutes doing some stuff and you can set yourself up for success. 15 minutes at night straightening up. 10 minutes in the morning relaxing. I’ll keep adding ways to fill your spare minutes once you master these 2 things.
Now, I CHALLENGE you to try the morning routine for the rest of the week. Let me know how it goes! <3