Do you need a way to spice up your veggies? This is perfect! My mom used to make it for me when I was stressed because the cheese does something for my soul! 😉
Serve it as a side or as the main course over a pile of brown rice! Just remember, you can’t skimp on the cheese!
- 4 or 5 medium zucchini
- 1 C salsa (I prefer Costco's organic salsa)
- 8 oz swiss cheese, sliced (the more, the merrier)
- 1 C mozzarella cheese (again, MORE is better!)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat broiler.
- Boil water zucchini until al dente (about 8 minutes). Be sure not to overcook. Let cool. Slice in half, lengthwise and blot dry.
- Place zucchini flesh side up on a baking sheet. Salt and pepper, to taste. Add mozzarella cheese. Place in oven for 1 minute, just long enough for cheese to melt. (This helps the salsa stick.) Douse the zucchini with salsa. Top with swiss cheese. Broil until SUPER crispy. Seriously. Don't take it out too soon. 5 minutes? Be sure to keep a careful eye on them!
- Let cool and enjoy!
- -Be sure to blot dry. You want to remove as much excess water as possible before baking.
- -Use a lot of cheese. I'm serious. If you are looking for a clean zucchini recipe, just eat it boiled. Or roasted. THIS recipe should be stretchy, and crispy, and oh so delicious!